Pattern:
Affirmative sentences, negative sentences or
Negative sentences, affirmative sentences
Example: You don’t believe me, do you?
You believe me, don’ you?
Here are the rules for tag question
• when the statement are positive or negative sentences
Ex : they work harder than we do, don’t they?
• look also at the tense used, the tense in the tag will always follow that used in the statement
Present tense:
She always does her homework, doesn’t she?
Past tense:
George ate fried rice yesterday, didn’t she?
Future tense:
You will come to my house, won’t you?
• be careful also with intonation, as it will make the messege mean different, we usually use rising intonation. When we want to ask a question as in:
Ex : They work harder than we do, don’t they ?
We usually use following intonation when we want to confirm or make sure, we don’t realy ask a question
Ex : she was than in the room yesterday, wasn’t she ?
• be careful when we answere the question with tag question
Ex : you understand, don’t you?
Yes, I do (I understand)
No, I don’t (I don’t understand)